|For What It’s Worth….|
The national unemployment crisis is complicated and the causes are deeply rooted in our culture, education, trade treaties, foreign competition, ridged labor contracts and excessive public and personal debt. Worst of all our politicians cling to pro and anti-business dogma and refuse to compromise!
If one "Googles" for causes of unemployment the results are all over the place. Here are a few bed-rock facts that are most in common from the professional observers.
The Disgrace of H1b visa programs stealing American Jobs!
Regarding "Tax Breaks" to companies exporting jobs -
So... what, specifically, are these tax breaks? All the politicians are yakking about them but nobody is saying specifically what they are. Precisely what laws or regulations need to be changed? If no one makes a specific demand Congress will surely ignore it. At Fogcutters we have searched for specifics but have come up empty handed. Except for the following gross example!
H1B and L1 visa holders! These are work permits for
foreign workers to come to America and often replace American workers
here. There are over 1,202,000 H1B visa holders and over 325,000
L-1 visa holders in the U.S. Worse still, these numbers are climbing
even while the nation's unemployment is at or near record levels. The
rationale for allowing H1B visas is that American companies claim that they
can't find U.S. citizens with the needed skills.
A dirty secret and hard facts are hard
to come by. Here is a brief summary of what often happens with
the H1B and L1 visa programs. Some data may not be the most recent but the
urgent nature is still real.
Please see additional links in the
right hand column for specifics. Due to the abuse of these programs,
please consider this to be an important...
And now back to our original 7 factors hurting American employment.
Next, unemployment is stressful and therefore one must surround themselves with ONLY positive support from friends and family. Anyone trying to find employment deserves honest support. If there are those who are pulling you down you must either explain that it is unacceptable or avoid them. Remember, "The Strong Survive and the Weak Languish." Attitude means everything when it comes to regaining employment and, especially, avoiding unemployment in the first place.
The stagnant economy and lack of Congressional determination is creating a lot of difficulties and every avenue must be explored. Below we present various programs. Cash handouts do little to remedy many of the underlying causes and further the creation of a dependent, financially diminished underclass.
Suggestions to Improve National Unemployment:
Ground Zero: Stop all further renewals of H1B and L1 visas until our unemployment falls below 5 1/2%.
1. Require all persons receiving unemployment to participate in job training and skills improvement. If their skills are actually up-to-date then they can participate in training others. Even the unemployed can assist with free day care for others in training and actively interviewing.
2. The government must resolve the housing crisis. Without our home equity we are severely restricted in our ability to move to where new jobs are being created. More on this subject separately.
3. Enforce "Fair Trade Agreements" with all trading partners. Here's the point- "they" want our business. "They" won't get more business if the U.S. economy is weak. The U.S. has for far too long been intimidated and coerced by partners who might threaten to stop buying our bonds. Yes, we do have an excessive debt. And, yes, it would hurt if foreign nations started cutting back on their purchases of U.S. debt. Regardless, it's going to happen anyhow. At this writing a second down grade of U.S. debt is pending. Some of our trading partners are already moving to eliminate the dollar as an international benchmark for trading.
4. Enforce product safety laws and labor laws for all
imported items. Other nations want to sell into our markets but their
regulations are often so low that it puts American manufactures at a
severe disadvantage. Current treaties prohibit us from
discriminating against foreign products even when we are spending our tax
dollars to stimulate our own economy. However, we CAN enforce
product safety regulations like those applying to food products, in
particular polluted sea food from China!
5. Prohibit the exportation of any further jobs without the employer paying the full load of retraining expenses. Charging only for the "unemployment tax" does not sufficiently cover the damage done to both workers and community.
6. Remove unnecessary regulations that are binding American businesses. Many of the proposed regulations are just a collection of special interest agendas. Many sensible regulations are needed to prevent abuse of the environment and working conditions. Politicians opposing regulations simply refer to various bills by name without itemizing just what they are objecting to. This only confuses the issue! We must require a clear explanation of just what each regulation is for and why.
7. Challenge any new trade agreement that states it will allow us to export more goods. We must ask for and demand to know how many jobs will be conversely exported. Almost every "free trade" agreement has exported more jobs and economic welfare than jobs created. The business lobby is always seeking cheaper goods. The government wants to hold down inflation rates and thus pay lower interest rates on our tremendous debt.
Finally, we must absolutely keep building the U.S.
manufacturing base. We can never expect to have a robust economy
that exports good paying jobs while relying on lower paying service jobs.
This issue is highly political. This issue may not have support of
the general public because we have become dependent upon low cost and
often cheaply made foreign goods. We must ban together and reject
any attempt to export more manufacturing jobs. Yes, it may cost
more. Yes, it may soften wages in the U.S. ultimately, we must face
the facts that we have gone way overboard seeking cheap products at the
sacrifice of our national well being.
Beneath all the political verbiage there are significant, ignored facts and considerations that we need to be aware of. And, this is what Fogcutters is all about.
Fogcutters.net Finding Where Truth Hides
Copyright © 2011 - 2012 H&H Associates. All rights reserved.
Searching for solutions avoided by politicians and activists!
Obama administration moves to cut unneeded regulations
On the Lighter Side!
Links regarding H1B and L1 visas -